ASK
We all get frustrated from time to time and it is perfectly normal. Hurting your head can cause the worst kind of frustration. I used to feel frustrated when I didn’t really understand what was going on with me. I feel frustrated when everything seems to be going wrong or is not what I expected and there seems very little I can do about it. I can’t do the things I want to do, when I want to do them. My progress towards getting better can seem so slow and I often can’t do things I used to do.
Feeling frustrated can make me feel like life is getting on top of me. And there is nothing I can do about it. Feeling frustrated can make me:

* Feel stressed
* Panic
* Feel out of control.

These are terrible feelings. I can usually cope with one at a time, but when I feel frustrated I feel all of them at once and this can be really frightening.

What to do when I feel frustrated?

A big problem with feeling frustrated is that I can put myself under pressure to come up with all the answers. Sometimes my problems can be really big and I need help from other people too.

It can also be frustrating that I can’t solve all of my problems myself. I want to be independent and when I have to get other people involved all the time I can really get upset.

First things first, think about:

  • Why do I feel frustrated? Is there something in particular which is making me feel cross or is it lots of things? Maybe ask my a friend to write them down.

  • Look at each problem one at a time It is easy to feel frustrated when I have lot of things getting on top of me all at the same time. Look at my problems one at a time.

  • Which problems are causing me the most upset? It’s a good idea to look at my problems and think about which one is upsetting me the most. This will help me to prioritise, which means looking to see which problem needs sorting out first.

  • Is there anything I can do? Have a good think, are these problems easily solved by something I can do or do I need other people to help me?

  • Can I fix my problems quickly? Some problems can be really easy to solve. If I have lots of little problems they can all get on top of me and leave my feeling quite frustrated. If they are little problems, what can I do to sort them out?

  • Is there anyone I know who can help me with my problems? When I think about it, there is usually someone else who can help with my problems. A problem shared is a problem solved. Think about who I know. Will anyone be able to help me with anything?

It’s hard to solve any problem when I am so busy worrying about them, worrying can use a lot of energy. Problems that I used to have may seem bigger since I’ve hurt my head. I will spend sometime adjusting to all sorts of things in life and one of those things is learning to cope with frustration when my problems are getting on top of me.